Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Sometimes we win



Friends is an easy show to mock and lament, but one joke I always liked was when Ross was going to China and Phoebe said to him "You're going to have some great Chinese food! Only there they just call it 'food.'" I think it's time to drop the phrase "gay marriage" from our lexicon and just talk about marriage. Ours is the same as yours, fuckers. Anyway, whatever. We have it again in the large, populous state of California until we don't again. I always have to spend 15 minutes with the office door closed when these things happen because no matter the ups and downs of my life as a gay man in the late 20th and early 21st century and the ambivalences that have resulted, it makes me cry when we win.

(It is also always in these moments that I wish I believed in heaven so it could have a special room made of cake or something for the straight people who want us to win. Without them, we'd be toast. Sorry about all the metaphorical carbs. On a diet.)

7 comments:

The Modesto Kid said...

A fine day.

Anonymous said...

fine day indeed! Enjoy the taste of victory... here's hoping it sticks

Anonymous said...

*And* F.P. Smearcase comes out! ;}

Franklin P. Smearcase said...

Asocial worker: people who know more about the law than I do seem pessimistic, but I have to enjoy the transient moments of victory or I'll crawl under the bed and stay there.

Franklin P. Smearcase said...

mrsbasement: are you kidding, F. P. Smearcase came out in 1989!

Anonymous said...

What a great day! My favorite part was probably the flurry of happy facebook statuses that made me realize how great my friends are. It seems like we don't get to celebrate victories too much, and this one is pretty sweet.

Anonymous said...

its your blog coming out :)